Bastion of fun!

7.07.2009

POSTED IN Blog

Sorry for missing posting yesterday, but I was working at a clients all day and had no chance to get to the internet. So today is all about the weekends activities, when I got the chance to do something fascinating, my daughter Hannah (10yr old) wanted to spend some hobby time with Daddy!

Initially she started off building a really simple WWII kit of a V2 rocket in 1:48th scale, about 20 pieces, all fairly simple. She used the GW flush cutters to remove the model from the sprue and learnt how to keep the cutters close to the kit (I know its not the best way to do it, but I did not want her using my hobby knife/scalpel to tidy up). She then used my “Squadron” sanding sticks to tidy up and remaining marks of the sprue, and after about 45 minutes and some help with the instructions she had built a rocket. She learnt how to carefully apply glue (Revel Contacta Professional) to the model, and to not flood the area she was gluing and then to keep the parts pressed together till they stuck.

I was truly impressed that she took the time and effort to do things the way I suggested, normally getting things done quickly and with the least effort is her way to do work. She was also proud of her work at the end and wanted to paint it and add decals (she called them stickers). I mentioned that could be another days hobby time, and she agreed.

After finishing the rocket it was my turn to do some modelling, and I assumed she would drift away and go back to playing, however she didn’t, she hung around asking what I was going to make and suggesting she could help me, by cutting things out and helping me glue. So “Team Argos” decided on making one of the new Planetstrike Imperial Bastions as a project, Hannah helped cutting out the pieces and tidying them up, and then gluing them together. For one of my models, it might have slightly more glue visible than normal, but I have a certain emotional attachment to this piece of scenery now.

Some observations about the model, its relatively straightforward and GW did a reasonable job making the kit with lots of detail and options (I think they are also selling some of the kit as as the Bastion Upgrade Pack in the scenery section of their website). One suggestion I have is that the centre point of the flooring is unsupported so  use some sprue to reinforce it underneath: -

The other thing I noticed was the poor look of the joints at the corners of the building: -

In addition as you can see in the picture above, due to the thickness of the walls the joints in the wall can be highly visible, this troubled me as well. So I set about trying to find a way to  cover the joints on the corners, and to hide the joins where the walls met. Plasticard was my immediate solution and rummaging around in my plasticard box I found some Evergreen stripstyrene 2.0mm “Angle”  (Code 292) although the 2.5mm “Angle” (Code 293) would work just as well.

Suppliers in the UK and USA have 292 in stock, if anyone knows a central European supplier of Evergreen please post, so I can include that in future as well.

This would cover the wall joint and was the same width as the reinforced banding found on the lower section of the building, so would feel to scale. I would need to apply rivets to the Angle strip to keep it in character with the rest of the building, which was going to be a boring task, but I did get to use the Micro Hole Punch that had arrived with the Photo Etching kit. The hole punch made the process fairly easy, and to keep the rivets to scale I used the 0.5mm punch.

In addition I added cover plates to the corner joints to conceal them, and used rivets to make a plausible looking riveted joint. The plates were made from 0.25mm thick plasticard, which I cut into 11mm sections, once I had four of them, I then cut out a 5mm square from one corner. This resulting L shape made the lower plate, while I then cut a 2.5mm square from one corner of the 5mm square I had left, this made the top corner joint cover. These corner joints were then glued to the corners and with a little pressure deformed to fit the slight angle of the corner. In the following picture I have used badab black wash to highlight the rivets, as almost no matter how I took the picture the “white on white” nature of the rivets and angle strip hid the rivets completely. I am sorry if the wash makes the work look slightly messy, but it was the only way to highlight the rivets and once the model is sprayed it won’t be visible: -

As you can see the wall joint is concealed and the corner joints are hidden and rationalised away. I used the same spacing for my rivets as those found on the lower section of the model itself which was approximately 6.5mm. The black wash sadly makes the rivets appear larger and slightly uneven, but they are all accurately sized and spaced appropriately as will be revealed when an grey or black primer coat is added. Placing the rivets was helped significantly by a new arrival to the glue section, not easily available in the UK I had to order this via ebay from a hongkong reseller, the Tamiya Extra Thin cement. The beauty of this cement is the ultra fine applicator brush as shown in this picture: -

As you can see in comparison to my thumb in the corner of the picture, the brush is tiny, fine and comes to a point, allowing incredibly fine glue work. Having used it to place 100+ rivets at the weekend I must say it performed excellently and I will be getting a spare bottle.

With the addition of bucket loads of rivets and being situated in the Ash waste of Armageddon, this model cries out for some rust using the MiG powders and with light grey concrete-ish feel, lots of rust streaks running down the surface from the rivets when the acidic rains hit the wastelands.

With Hannah’s help it turned out to be a fun piece of scenery to make and hopefully she will continue her interest in modeling.

(Required)
(Required)